Blumagik Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Join us on the Podcast!  We run games each week with many different systems and genres.  Check out the Game Connector thread to see what's coming up.

Author Topic: Good headset for skype  (Read 86 times)

Quartzman

• Registered
Good headset for skype
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »

What is a good headset to use for skype on my phone?  I don't want Bluetooth. I want to use the 3.5 jack on my phone.  Guess I should say I use an iPhone.

bislab

• Administrator
Re: Good headset for skype
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »

if you're using 1/4" technology there isn't really anything groundbreaking as it has to be an analog connection.  That being said you CAN buy expensive sets that have digital on-board processing that converts to analog and are quite nice but they start around $80.  Really what you want is something that is comfortable and the microphone arm is capable of being adjusted at different levels from your mouth or face.  If it's a set arm that can't do that you'll get breathing sounds or if you have facial hair, the sound of that scratching over the microphone.  Another thing to look for is a microphone that is NOT very sensitive.  The more sensitive it is, the more of your breathing or background sound that will be picked up.  The best microphones for this duty are uni-directional and passive, meaning they don't require a power supply.  So, my two cents to make it short - if you are going to spend less than $80, it really doesn't matter what you get as long as it fits you well and the microphone arm is very adjustable.  OVER $80 I have some specific opinions - the Fnatic line of headphones w/ microphones are great but they're between $100-$150, Senheiser makes some good ones between $80-$100.

additional - if you want an actual podcasting rig, you can get professional XLR microphones, microphone amplifier with 1/4" outputs that would plug into your phone for under $100