Blumagik Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you are having trouble getting registered, please email us at steamsteelmurder@gmail.com

Author Topic: Simon R. Green Ghost of a Chance book 1 of the Ghost Finder series  (Read 491 times)

bislab

• Administrator

It LOOKED good.  The front cover was appealing, the comments from other authors were enticing, the back cover blurb made me gleeful in the adventure to come.  Total.  Let. Down.  But maybe it was me?  While it does not state it anywhere, this book could definitely be a YA (Young Adult) book.  Sexual innuendo is high, but not graphic and the battle scenes are not gory or overly described.  Simon gives a few pages describing each of the character's flaws and why they are broken people, but it's more of a laundry list than a delving into actual character.  It hits all the tropes:  supernatural stalking group (Buffy, Scooby-Do, etc.) the team members each have some sort of power or is hinted at having such.  I think my main issue with this was that it hit all the tropes of this genre like a checklist and everything is out in the open giving the reader nothing to really ponder over.  I'm sure this would make a good-to-middling TV show for instance but it's all fluff and sugar with no substance.  I'm not even sure why I finished it, but I did.  In one sitting actually, it reads fast as there's nothing to ponder, you just...go.  Ghost of a Chance is the first book in the series.  I've like OTHER Simon Green books I've read, namely the Hawk & Fisher series (Fantasy cop show) and NightSide, but this just didn't grab me.  Come to think of it, NightSide could probably be YA literature as well, but gave me more meat to savor.  Ah well, it's a quick read and your mileage may vary.

Matchstickman

• Players
Re: Simon R. Green Ghost of a Chance book 1 of the Ghost Finder series
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »

I thought I had written something here about Simon R Green, but I guess not.

I find all his books very similar. Character with dark sense of humour who make their way through the setting meeting likewise comedic people and dealing with some simple-but-ultimately-more-complicated-than-they-realised problem and are saved by some deus ex machina that was never hinted at previously.

The ride is usually fun but the ending is always abrupt.

EDIT: I should add that I have read all of his Deathstalker series, all the Hawk&Fisher stuff bar the latest, most of the Nightside series and some of the JamesBond-with-demons series, I too stopped reading the Ghost Finder series after the first book (immediately and have never even considered reading more of it).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:30:17 PM by Matchstickman »
Ineptitude is your superpower